Mold FAQ

What is mold?

Mold can grow both indoor and outdoors with the right amount of moisture. A fungus, mold is a natural part of our environment, but can sometimes be hazardous to your health.

Why is mold a problem?

If left untreated, mold can cause serious structural damage to your home or business, often times leading to costly repair bills or loss of property value. Mold can also trigger an asthma attack in some, symptoms are often more prominent in children and the elderly.

What does mold need in order to grow?

A moist environment, above freezing temperatures and food. Mold thrives on paper, leaves, building materials and certain foods.

How can I tell if I have mold?

Sometime mold is easily seen with the naked eye. If you see mold or water stains, a mold test can help identify related microbial activity. You can also look for areas where water has been known to leak or collect. Places such as under the sink or dishwasher, pipes and so on.

What can I do to prevent the growth of mold in my home?

The best way to keep mold away include keeping the humidity level of your between 40–60%, using an air conditioner and/or dehumidifier during humid months and in damp spaces like basements. Also be sure to utilize any exhaust fans in your home. If there are any known leaks, make sure they are repaired as soon as possible.

When does mold need to be handled by a professional remediation company?

Most experts recommend a professional remediation company when elevated mold levels are detected.

Some molds have the reputation of being more dangerous than others. Is identifying the mold important?

Identifying mold can be a fascinating part of the job, but it isn’t the most important part. If mold is present, the CDC has strongly recommended that it be removed, regardless of type.

*Source: Facts about Mold and Dampness, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Need Mold Services?